Research and Innovation transfer
Professor Rene Wijffels from the Wageningen University & Research presented OCTA Innovation pilot project of transfer of the research and innovation in microalgae field to Bonaire AlgaeParc.
Based on the use of local resources, and thanks to the use of sunlight and seawater, AlgaeParc would cultivate micro algae for the different possible uses including:
- Micro algae for aquaculture for local use on the island and for exportation as a feed ingredient
- Micro algae for production of biokerosene
- Micro algae as an ingredient in animal feed for local use in Bonaire
- Micro algae as an ingredient in products to be used in SPAs in the tourist sector
- Micro algae used by chefs in Bonaire cuisine.