Tourism Workshop – Milan Jezic von Gesseneck, OCTA Innovation Team Leader
Mr Jezic von Gesseneck impressed the need for systemic innovation in OCTs across all sectors, including tourism.
“The time has come to ask the right questions and find new answers to how OCT governments can best foster innovation in tourism. OCTs should not be copycats for other countries’ innovation policies; OCTs need to find their own way,” said Mr Jezic von Gesseneck, on the workshop’s focus.
“Those island destinations that have identified and implemented innovative solutions, creative attractions and visitor services tend to be more successful in securing constant growth and overcoming geopolitical issues and natural disasters,” he added.
He pinpointed the key features of the implementation of systemic innovation:
- An actively pro-innovation Government.
- A Head of Government who champions innovation.
- The appointment of an Innovation Director & Innovation Board
- Encouragement to Public/Private partnerships in OCTs
- Capacity building through Learning-By-Doing and the creation of an ePlatform
- Open Innovation – knowledge sharing.
- The creation of thematic Centers of Excellence in OCTs
- Tailored Technical Assistance & Projects